Support Compliance and Enforcement

It’s one thing to obtain a court order that the other party will pay child support or pay you spousal support. It can however prove to be a serious challenge to actually enforce the court order.

Many parties fail to pay child support as ordered. Some have allegedly good reasons such as lack of work due to illness or chronic unemployment attributable to the poor economy of an area. Others simply shirk their responsibilities as they pursue their personal lives with greater determination than their court-ordered duties and obligations.

Known as “deadbeat” parents, fathers and mothers who do not pay child support often leave the “other parents” of their children in financial straits. Nonetheless, if they do not obtain court orders lowering their child support obligations, they are still responsible to pay back child support as well as keep current with monthly payments. The state has numerous options for collecting unpaid child support, including wage garnishment.

Child Support Enforcement Lawyer Serving ALBUQUERQUE and surrounding areas

If child’s father or mother has not paid child support or has paid less than what the court ordered or if your former spouse has not paid spousal support it is incumbent upon you to discuss your case with and experienced and dedicated family law attorney. The lawyers at Atkinson & Kelsey, P.A. have helped many New Mexico clients enforce court orders for support.

When it’s time to get serious about enforcing compliance with divorce decrees, including property division, alimony or child support court orders, it may be time to begin contempt of court proceedings against the deadbeat parent.

Bringing Charges Of Contempt For Child Support Noncompliance

It’s time to get serious with your ex about unpaid child or spousal support? Call us at Atkinson & Kelsey at 505-883-3070 or write us using this online form.