Articles & News
Giving Back to the Community – Practicing law is more than representing individual clients. It is being involved in our local, state and national community. Here are some examples of the ways the attorneys at Atkinson & Kelsey participate in organizations that serve the public and legal community:
PRO BONO WORK
- September 20, 2013: Tom C. Montoya and Jon A. Federparticipated as volunteer Settlement Facilitators at the 2 nd Judicial District Court (Albuquerque) “Divorce Fair” for pro se litigants. Atkinson & Kelsey was a co-host of the lunch provided for all the volunteers.
- March 8, 2013: Jon A. Federand Virginia R. Dugan participated as a Settlement Facilitator in the 2 ndJudicial District “Ides of March” divorce fair for pro se litigants.
- February 1, 2013: Virginia R. Dugan participated in the 2 nd Judicial District “Rocket Docket” as a settlement facilitator for pro se parties.
COMMUNITY & LEGAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Virginia R. Dugantaught the Family Law Drafting Class as Adjunct Professors at the UNM Law School, spring semester 2012.
- The New Mexico Supreme Court appointed Virginia R. Dugan to serve on the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (“MCLE”) Board in January 2010. She continues to serve on that Board and is now the Vice-Chair.
- Virginia R. Dugan was elected to and served on the New Mexico Board of Bar Commissioners 2000-2007. She was the 2006 President of the State Bar of New Mexico.
Awards & Certifications
- Jon A. Feder and Virginia R. Dugan are Fellows of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers .
- Jon A. Feder, Virginia R. Dugan is New Mexico Board Certified Specialists in Family Law.
- July 5, 2013: Virginia R. Dugan and Jon A. Feder were named one of the 2013 Best Lawyers in America in the Family Law Division. Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession.
- July 5, 2013: Virginia R. Dugan was also named the 2013 ” Albuquerque Family Lawyer of the Year” byBest Lawyers in America, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession.
- 2007 – 2013: Virginia R. Dugan was named one of the 2013 Southwest “Super Lawyers” and was so named every year since 2007.
- February 2013: Virginia R. Dugan was named a NM Business Weekly’s 2013 Women of Influence honoree in the small business category.
Seminars, Conferences & Speaking Engagements
- November 8-9, 2013: Jon A. Feder attended the annual meeting of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers in Chicago, IL.
- October 4, 2013: Jon A. Feder and Virginia R. Dugan attended the seminar presented by Pauline Tesler’s seminar entitled “Practical Neuro-Literacy” about the neuroscience of the brain and how it affects persons going through conflict – both the parties to a family law matter and the attorneys involved. The seminar was held at the offices of REDW in Albuquerque and sponsored by the NM Collaborative Practice Group.
- June 27-29, 2013: Tom C. Montoya and Jon A. Feder presented the annual Family Law Update at the State Bar of New Mexico annual meeting in Santa Fe, NM. Tom and Jon have given this presentation for over a decade. Virginia R. Dugan attended the State Bar Convention.
- April 30, 2013: Denise E. Ready attended the CLE on “Ethics Issues in Representing Elderly Clients” in Albuquerque.
- April 26, 2013: Denise E. Ready attended the 2013 New Mexico Collaborative Law Symposium in Albuquerque.
- September 15, 2012: Virginia R. Dugan co-presented on “Pre-Nuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements: What’s Love Got to Do with It?” at the State Bar of New Mexico CLE at Sea in Barcelona, Spain.
- September 7, 2012: Denise E. Ready attended the annual “Tax Symposium” CLE in Albuquerque.
- July 13, 2012: Jon A. Feder, Virginia R. Dugan, Tom C. Montoya attended the annual State Bar Convention at Tamaya Resort in Bernalillo.
- April 27, 2012: Denise E. Ready attended the 2012 “New Mexico Collaborative Law Symposium” in Albuquerque.