ESTABLISHING PARENTAGE: PATERNITY AND MATERNITY ACTIONS
NEW MEXICO’S UNMARRIED PARENTS HAVE RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES TOO
Parentage actions are relevant to unmarried people with children who want to establish parentage, custody, time sharing and child support.
A parentage case may be no more difficult than filing papers to formalize an existing agreement between unmarried parents who have a friendly relationship. In other situations, parentage, custody, time sharing or support may be disputed.. In contested or uncontested parentage cases, assistance from an experienced and knowledgeable family law attorney can make a significant difference to the children involved.
In parentage cases and all other types of family law conflicts, we provide customized solutions for our clients’ unique problems.
CUSTODY, TIME SHARING AND CHILD SUPPORT FOR UNMARRIED PARENTS
First, the family court must issue a ruling that the parties are the legal parents of the child. If there are questions surrounding parentage, either party can request the court to order genetic testing.
New Mexico law requires unmarried parents to support their child. New Mexico law also recognizes the child’s right to spend time with both parents.
Once the court has issued an adjudication of parentage, the parents will need to create a parenting plan addressing form of custody, a visitation or time sharing schedule and child support based on the New Mexico’s child support guidelines.
Atkinson & Kelsey is the oldest law firm in Albuquerque to focus exclusively on family law issues. Our team of family law attorneys includes lawyers
- certified as family law specialists by the New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization,
- with AV Pre-eminent Ratings* from Martindale-Hubbell
- who are Fellows of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers,
- listed in Best Lawyers in America and Southwest Super Lawyers Magazine, and
- a member of the American Law Institute
LEARN MORE ABOUT PARENTAGE ACTIONS AND THE RIGHTS OF UNMARRIED PARENTS
Consult one of the experienced attorneys at Albuquerque’s first family law firm. To make an appointment, call our office toll free at 505-883-3070 or contact us online.
* AV is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. MartindaleHubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.