Albuquerque Divorce Modification And Relocation Lawyer

When a divorced couple walks out of the courtroom with a "final divorce decree," it may seem to be set in stone. Indeed, it is a challenge to get a divorce decree modified — especially the parts involving property division. In the area of child custody and visitation, however, a court order is not absolutely final. Child support and spousal support orders may also be modified after the fact.

Do You Have Good Reason To Propose A Child Relocation?

If you have primary custody of your child and you believe it is in the best interests of the child to relocate with you, you may petition a family law court for a new custody order. This may be difficult if the other parent disagrees and intends to contest your petition. However, if you are able to demonstrate to a family law judge that your child will benefit from the results of your proposed move, your petition may be successful. Some parents have crafted creative solutions that have preserved parent-child relationships with both parents despite distance.

Custody Modification Lawyers At Atkinson & Kelsey, P.A., Representing Your Interests, Serving Santa Fe And Rio Rancho

On the other hand, if your child's other parent proposes a relocation and you wish to contest the petition, you should talk to an attorney who understands and will advocate strongly for you. At Atkinson & Kelsey, P.A., in New Mexico, we understand the importance of a parent's frequent contact with a growing child. We can advise you about how to assert your right to ample custody and/or visitation with your son or daughter even when the other parent wants to move to another state or city. Mediation may provide a workable solution.

Concerned about child relocation? Call an Albuquerque divorce modification and relocation attorney at Atkinson & Kelsey at 505-796-6238, toll free at 888-350-5903, or write us using this online form.